"Au nouveau Chat Noir" is a selection of French Chanson, Hot Hawaiian, and Jazz perfectly suited for classic cabarets and night clubs.
Please note that Mal-O-Dua is no longer booking shows
"Mal-O-Dua" or mal aux doigts in French means "My fingers hurt!"
What happened when French Manouche Roma Gypsy Jazz guitar legend Django Reinhardt met Kentucky thumb picking master Merle Travis and Hawaiian steel guitar virtuoso Sol Hoopii? A new type of driving acoustic swing music was born!!! Well….actually that never did really happen. However, that was the tasteful blending of diverse styles that Madison, WI based duo Mal-O-Dua was built on.
Mal-O-Dua pulled from a wide range of sources including Gypsy Jazz, traditional Hawaiian music, Kentucky thumb picking, vintage French pop, Eastern European Folk, early Parisian "Bal Musette" waltz style, and the American standard songbook to name a few. These styles were artfully bended together to create a fresh new sound!
Mal-O-Dua presented a high energy eclectic show that ranged broadly through various acoustic genres. We would pepper in historical anecdotes about the music we present to give it context. Mal-O-Dua had extensive performance experience in many settings including large music festivals, concert series, night club gigs, and private events. We were as equally comfortable on the main stage as we were in an intimate living room house concert. Our unique blend of "Hot Hawaiian and French Guitar Sorcery" was always met with rave reviews!
Selected Notable Performances
- 30-Minute Music Hour - Wisconsin Public Television
- La Fête de Marquette Festival - Madison, WI
- Wild Rice Concerts - Menominee, MI
- Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association Convention - Fort Collins, CO
- Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest - Madison, WI
- Neenah Public Library Concert Series - Neenah, WI
- Fishstock Concert Series - Fish Creek, WI
- Sugar Maple Traditional Music Fest - Madison, WI
- Cajun In The Country - Columbus, WI
- Weyenberg Public Library Concert Series - Mequon, Wi
- The Sh**ty Barn Sessions - Spring Green, WI
- River Arts Concert Series - Prairie du Sac, WI
- The Cotter House Concert Series - Shawano, WI
- Marquette Waterfront Festival - Madison, WI
- Strollin' Verona Concerts - Verona, WI
“Drawing from French swing, Hawaiian slack key, Parisian waltz and other styles, Mal-o-Dua's sound is one of the most eclectic in town.” - Isthmus Magazine “Isthmus Picks”
"...a sound you won’t hear anywhere else this summer. Expect a high-energy acoustic show, peppering in historical anecdotes about the music they present to give it context." - Door County Pulse
"While there's plenty of history and skill in the music, Mal-O-Dua's playful, loose style travels well..." - Scott Gordon for Tone Madison
"Duo de Choc" which loosely translates from French to "the dynamic duo" is a true potpourri of Mal-O-Dua's diverse sounds!
"Mahalo Dua" is a collection of traditional Hawaiian Slack Key, steel guitar, and ukulele music by Mal-O-Dua. It is also the soundtrack to the award winning documentary film The Turkeys of Atwood Avenue!